In the spirit of getting ready for our Halloween Bash this weekend, I thought it only fitting to post a few Halloween Goodie recipes.
Today’s treat is Monster Munch. This is a new recipe that I actually found on Pinterest the other day. I was looking for something easy, Halloween specific, yummy, and inviting for people to eat! I did a bit of tweaking to the original recipe but in the end it turned out pretty good and it is sooo addicting!
So here’s what you need:
- Large Bowl (I actually used a large roasting pan - just easier to stir everything)
- Ingredients (below)
- Small saucepan
- Candy thermometer
- 2 cookie sheets covered with parchment paper
- 2 bowls to melt chocolate
- A couple spoons to mix with
- 12 cups air-popped popcorn
- 3 cups pretzel twists
- 1 cup roasted, salted peanuts
- 1 cup candy corn
- 1 cup Reese’s Pieces (I used mini ones but you can totally use regular ones)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup creamy/smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- Orange and white melting chocolate and sprinkles for garnish
- In a large bowl, mix together the popcorn, pretzels, peanuts, candy corn, and Reese’s Pieces. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring the honey, brown sugar and butter to a boil over medium heat, stirring CONSTANTLY. Make sure you have your candy thermometer in the saucepan (make sure it’s not touching the bottom of the pot.). You are essentially making a caramel coating so it is crucial to continuously stir or the sugar with burn and be gross and nasty!. You want to cook this to a soft crack stage so about 280 degrees.
- Once you’ve reached the 280 degrees, take the pot off the heat and quickly add the salt, vanilla, and peanut butter. Place pot back on heat and stir until the peanut butter has melted into the caramel sauce making a nice smooth consistency.
- Drizzle sauce over popcorn. Make sure you don’t scrap the bottom of the pot as sometimes the sugar can burn to the bottom, so you could get that burnt sugar taste if you scrap the pot clean. Stir to coat.
- Spread the popcorn mixture onto the parchment paper covered cookie sheets.
- Melt orange and white melting chocolate in microwave (takes about 60sec to melt) and drizzle over popcorn. The top it of with the sprinkles.
- Let it cool until the chocolate has hardened. Break apart and Enjoy!
Notes: I found I could of used a tad more of the caramel sauce to coat the popcorn mixture with so if you want a bit extra just add a bit more of the sugar, butter and honey.
Let me know how your 'Monster Munch' turned out in the comments below.
- Mama Bird
To subscribe to the RSS feed click here -->