Dollar Store DIY
Everyone knows it’s super fun to be creative and crafty but holy smokes can it get expensive! So, I decided, today, to do a little DIY project that is actually affordable! As we near Christmas, I thought it only right to do a seasonal project and opted for a dining table centrepiece. This is the perfect addition for the family that is hosting Christmas dinner and wants it to look extra sharp but without breaking the bank! Hence my dollar store endeavour! Alternatively, this concept could be easily customized to be a beautiful wedding centerpiece! This particular item cost me $25 to make. And remember, if you’re thinking of making this for a wedding or event, you can ALWAYS sell it afterwards to re-coop some of the cost. Below you will find my step by step tutorial for this beautiful masterpiece!
1. Head to the nearest Dollarama. You are going to purchase everything in the photo PLUS some wire thread (I’m sure you can get this at the dollar store? I had some at home so I didn’t need to get any....if not Michael’s will have it for sure!) That’s 3 poinsettias, 2 leaf branches, 2 regular branches, one strand of berry garland, 2 candles and some wire thread.
2. Start by shaping the berry garland around the candles (or if you chose not to purchase the candles, shape it around where you would have specific dishes or any other decor items).
3. Next, you need to deconstruct all the florals. This should be pretty easy to do (aside from the sparkle mess 🙈).
4. Using your wire thread begin tying the branches and leaves onto the berry garland.
5. Finally, using the wire thread, tie on the poinsettias.
A few things to note:
- If you have a super large table you might want to double up on supplies!
- Odd numbers looks better than even. For the flowers use 3 or 5.
- Place the flowers on the curves.
And voila! That’s it! It took me just under 1 hour to construct this beauty. For an added touch, a string of fairy lights would look wonderful and really make the sparkles glisten! The other thing I love about this piece is that it is nice and low to the table. So when you have your guests over it won’t block anybody or obstruct anyone from reaching all that tasty food!
Give it a try and let me know how it goes in the comments below!
On a side note, if you LOVE DIY but really aren’t the crafty type, please message me! I’d absolutely love to offer my creative services! If you like this post and like what we do on this blog, please share this on social media.
- Mama Bird