Best Sugar Cookies Ever
These Cookies are to DIE FOR! If you’re looking for the best sugar cookie recipe…this is it! I love making these at every holiday because it is so easy to just use a different cookie cutter and switch up the icing colour to obtain the perfect treat customized for any holiday or event! Not to mention, these cookies are super fun to decorate (whether for you or your kids).
So here it is:
Sugar Cookies (Makes about 55 regular size cookies)
- 1.5 cups butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cover and chill dough for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roll out dough on floured surface to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut into shapes.
- Place on baking sheet and cook for 6-8min. (I cook mine for 6min-or until bottom is lightly browned.)
- Let cool before icing.
Sugar Cookie Icing (To ice all cookies I usually times this recipe by 5 or 6)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Milk (anywhere from 2 tsp to 1/2 cup)
- Food colouring (optional)
- Combine everything except milk. Start by adding 2 tsp of milk and stir to combine. If mixture is not combining, add a few more tsp of milk. Obviously the less milk, the thicker the icing (this is good for outlining cookies.). The more milk, the more runny the icing (good for flooding cookies).
- You can ice your cookies however you want. Some people use a knife, some just dunk them. Personally I use a piping bag with a small circle tip. First I use my thick icing to outline, then I let them dry a bit, then I use my runny icing to flood them. You can use a toothpick to spread the icing within your outline.
*Note: to make Gluten Free sugar cookies use my Gluten Free Flour recipe on my apple pie post. They turn out AWESOME!
I hope you enjoy these! They are seriously a big hit at our Halloween Party!
- Mama Bird