A Letter To My 77 Year Old Self
I hope this letter finds you in good health. I know this might be a lot to hope for but I hope you can still bust off pull ups like crazy. Hopefully your showing those young bucks what strength looks like haha. I will do my part to help out in the upcoming years.
You better be reading this in your house in Canmore. If you are not living there yet, what happened? I want to be there now so if in 37 years I am not in Canmore I’ve made a big mistake. But I’m sure you’re there so I will move on.
Once you are done reading this letter make sure you go over to Christie and give her a big kiss and tell her how much you love her. You will be celebrating 44 years together soon. Make sure you do something huge for her for your anniversary. I’m sure you both are having an amazing life together. I’m so happy I have her in my life right now so I can’t wait to see what almost 4 decades of love will create at that point. You two will have experienced a lot together and I can’t wait to see what it all is. It’s going to be great.
Then once you’re done letting her know how much you love her let your beautiful kids know you love them. You’re probably going to have to phone or text (or maybe there is some new form of communication through a social media platform that is even more stupidly ridiculous than some of the ones that are around now). But regardless, just let them know right now. You should have a minimum of 2 kids, maybe 3 if everything goes right. I can’t wait to see them all grown up.
I think you see where this is going but then you need to let your grandkids know how much you love them. Hopefully there are few of them running around at this point. I bet you’re having a blast being a grandpa. Spoil them and have as much fun as you can with them every time you see them.
What I’m Expecting Of You
- That you have a strong marriage. I can’t see this being a problem but you better still be putting in as much effort as I’m putting in now.
- That you have been there for your kids and possible grandkids. Again I can’t see this being a problem but be understanding and let them know you will always be there for them.
- That you’re still hanging with the homies. Or at least in close communication with the homies. I know you’re living in Canmore and they might not be living there but regardless you better not have lost touch with them. If you did lose touch, it’s time to pick up the phone.
- That you’re still fit and exercising EVERY SINGLE DAY. I want to know that you’re working out, biking, hiking, snowboarding, and all the other stuff you like to do. I know your 77 but it doesn’t mean you have to stop giving it your all.
- Never stop trying to better yourself. You better not be worrying about ridiculousness. I’m working on this now for us but make sure you keep the growth and self improvement up to par. Don’t become stuck in your ways just because they are your ways. If there is a new approach that’s better than try it out.
- You should still be blogging. The amount of great content will be amazing to look back on and see how life has been.
- You should be retired. Hopefully long retired if everything went right. You should be sitting there relaxing having a cup of coffee looking out at the mountains smiling as you read this.
- You should still have 2 dogs. Now I know Thor and storm won't be around at that point :( but you still better have 2 labs. I'm thinking a chocolate and a silver.
- (These next ones are a little silly but I’m still expecting them)
- You better not be dressing like an old person. Never give up on taking care of your appearance. You better still be trying to look good and presentable on a daily basis.
- You better be wearing Air Jordans still. Everyday. For every outfit. For every activity. Put old man stretch laces in if you have to, to make them easier to put on. But there better not be old man shoes on your feet right now as you’re reading this letter!
In summary I just want you to be living a good life and having fun with whatever you’re doing. You still have plenty of life to live so keep on enjoying it. Life has been pretty great thus far and I can’t wait to reach your point and enjoy every step along the way. See you in 37 years!
The 30 year old Derek in the past
This letter along with the ‘A Letter To My 17 Year Old Self’ was an exercise that a book Mama Bird was reading suggested to do. I thought it was a great idea and might as well partake in it. An example to see what you wouldn’t change about your life, what you would’ve changed, and what you want to change in the future. I loved writing these. I encourage you to write the letters to your 17 year old and 77 year old self and see what comes from it. Let me know what you think in the comments down below.
- Papa Bird